Everyone nowadays wants to lose weight and to begin with it people start dieting. To most of the people dieting means to reduce eating but it is their wrong perception. A healthy diet must include sufficient amount of food that contain calories from simple carbohydrates and more of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and foods that are good sources of protein. This forms the basis of a good low carb diet plan.
The main purpose of a low carb diet is to limit carbohydrates like grains, starchy vegetables and fruits, and stresses on intake of protein and fat. There are various low carb diets and each has different restrictions on the types and amounts of carbohydrate intake. A low carb diet is generally related to weight loss. Some of the low carb diet states that they contain health benefits including weight loss.
To start with a low carb diet certain steps should be followed to make the diet plan more effective. Following steps help in forming a good diet plan:-
* Every meal should contain protein, between 60 to 85 grams.
* Amount of carbohydrate intake should be kept low for weight loss, somewhere between zero to 30 grams daily.
* If possible, choose raw and organic whole foods. More the fibre, better will b the result.
* White food should be avoided such as potatoes, rice, bread, flour, sugar, popcorn.
* Low carb fruits like berries, melon, peaches, kiwi etc should be taken at breakfast
* If the stress is on losing weight then cream and butter should be avoided as far as possible. Processed oils should be avoided, instead olive and nut oils should be used.
* Dinner should be taken early and should be minimal.
Low carb diet plans provide a variety of benefits specially for weight loss. The positives of these diet plans are as follows:-
* They increase fat loss because of increase in fat burning.
* Achievement of significant amount of weight loss in a short span of time.
* Health benefits like low cholesterol, low blood pressure and low blood triglycerides are provided.
* Help in maintaining blood sugar levels, especially for diabetics.
* Consistent energy levels are maintained..
Everything has two sides to it, positive and negative.
The disadvantages of low carb diet are as follows :-
* These plans result in muscle loss. It causes metabolism to decelerate which causes less burning of calories each day.
* They cause body to become ketogenic, which is not good for health.
* Long run restriction of carbohydrates may lead to major health problems.
* Many of the important and necessary nutrients are not provided in them.
* Decreasing muscle glycogen stores causes fatigue easily, making exercise and physical movement difficult.
* Brain normally uses carbohydrates for proper functioning which cannot be done by the use of fats.
* Maintenance of good muscle and skin tone is hard on a low carb diet plan.
At first, low carb diet plan might sound a great idea to lose weight instantly, but it should not be taken in high amounts in the beginning. The body might take some time to get used to the diet and respond to it, but once the body adapts it, its benefits surpass its disadvantages.