You may have seen headlines warning that society is approaching peak unicorn. Yes, it’s time to start thinking about what you can do to hold onto your sense of wonder after you’ve posted your last unicorn image on Instagram.
Fortunately, there are many ways to feel enchanted even when you’re a grown up with a family and a full-time job. Try these tips for simple changes you can make to create a more magical daily life.
- Practice optimism. Studies show that optimists earn more money, enjoy better health, and may even live longer. Looking on the bright side is obviously strong magic.
- Focus on gratitude. Being appreciative is also a sure-fire way to experience more happiness and success. Create a gratitude journal and write in it each night before you go to bed with all the wonderful things that happened that day.
- Offer forgiveness. Lighten your load by letting go of any past resentments and disappointments. Be sure to pardon yourself as well as others.
- Build confidence. You can accomplish more when you believe in yourself and your abilities. Challenge your self-imposed limitations and take sensible risks. Adjust your self-talk if you tend to be excessively critical.
- Smile more. A pleasant facial expression boosts your mood and makes you more attractive and approachable. You’ll soon collect more things to smile about.
- Slow down. It’s difficult to savor life when you’re in a rush. Lighten your workload by eliminating unnecessary tasks. Take frequent breaks while you’re working so you can refresh your mind and restore your energy.
- Play with your children. Believing in magic seems to come naturally when we’re young. Let your children remind you about what it was like to believe in Santa Claus and monsters under the bed.
- Connect with nature. Scenic beauty and time spent outdoors can also make you marvel at the world. Start a vegetable garden or go hiking on weekends.
- Dress up. Making over your external appearance can affect your inner being. See how differently you feel when you wear a new coat or get a flattering haircut.
- Add color. Yellow may be the color most closely associated with happiness, but any hue you like can have a positive psychological impact. Paint your kitchen green or buy a purple plant for your desk.
- Listen to music. A cheerful song can transform your day. Put together a playlist that will make exercising and housework seem like fun.
- Give generously. Sharing your time, talents, and resources with others makes you feel like you have more than when you started. Volunteer in your community and give others presents even when there’s no special occasion.
- Continue learning. Acquiring new knowledge and skills shows you how vast your potential to grow is. Sign up for adult education classes at a local university or take a course online.
- Travel somewhere. Plan an exotic vacation or explore an unfamiliar neighborhood closer to home. Travel can be expanding without being expensive.
- Do something new. Any variation in your routine can pull you out of a rut and stimulate your senses. Spend this weekend doing something you’ve been wanting to try, like baking sourdough bread or playing pickleball.
Mythical white horses don’t have a monopoly on magic. While Starbucks Unicorn Frappuccinos were only around for a few days, you can cultivate a sense of wonder that lasts for a lifetime. Take the time to notice the small miracles that happen each day and surround yourself with love and support.