How can you be happy if you don’t love yourself? Having a high degree of self-love makes it easier to take good care of yourself. If you love and respect yourself, others are more likely to respect you, too. When you love yourself, you’re more gentle, kind, and considerate with yourself.
Life can be hard. It’s even harder when you’re hard on yourself. Ideally, you are your biggest fan in life.
Use these ideas to show yourself more love:
1. Make sleep a priority. Everybody needs sleep. When we don’t think very highly of ourselves, we often don’t get enough sleep. It’s easy for all the things and people in our lives to get our time and attention. This leaves too little time for sufficient sleep.
2. Feed your body better food. If you don’t love yourself, you might not be eating as well as you should be. Show yourself that you’re a priority by giving yourself healthy food to eat.
3. Feed your mind better things, too. It’s not just your body. It’s your mind, too. Consider the thoughts, TV, and websites that you’re giving your mind to chew on. Are you spending your time the way you would want your 18-year-old child to spend his time?
4. Exercise. Taking care of your body with exercise is a sign of self-love. You don’t have to train for a triathlon but get some exercise each day.
5. Look your best. When people aren’t happy with themselves, their general appearance is one of the first things to slide. Give yourself the attention you need to look your best each day. Be the best-dressed and best-groomed person in the room wherever you go.
6. Make time to relax. Rest and relaxation are critical to enjoying life. Schedule time into your day to kick back and do whatever you enjoy.
7. Forgive yourself. It’s pretty tough to love yourself if you haven’t forgiven yourself for your past mistakes and failures. There’s nothing you can do about the past, so it only makes sense to let it go and forgive yourself. The things that happened in the past are best left there.
8. List your best qualities. Those lacking in self-love can quickly rattle off their shortcomings but struggle to identify their positive characteristics. Remind yourself of all the amazing qualities you have. Write down your positive qualities, even if they’re only slightly positive. List them all.
9. List your greatest triumphs. You’ve done some amazing things. Put pen to paper and write them all down. Go back to the beginning and relive your better moments.
10. Separate from those that don’t treat you well. If someone in your life is a regular detractor, consider giving them their walking papers. There are so many people in the world that it doesn’t make sense to put up with someone that doesn’t treat you well.
11. Start making the changes you’ve been avoiding. You have a good idea of the changes you’d like to make in your life. Let today to be the day you start implementing a few of those ideas.
If you can’t love yourself, who else will, other than your mother? Treat yourself like you matter, and you’ll begin to believe that you do. Our beliefs can be led by our actions. We can change our beliefs to justify our behaviors. Put your attention on your strengths and successes. Take care of your mind and body.
You’re the only person you have 24/7. Everyone else is available on a limited basis. So, make yourself a priority in your life. You’ll be glad you did!