Many people are naturally likeable, but others need to put in a little work. There’s no secret regarding what makes someone likeable. There’s been a ton of research done on this topic, but it’s not necessary to be familiar with the research.
All you have to do is look around at the people you know and notice what those that are likeable have in common. Look at the people in your life that everyone seems to enjoy being around.
It’s easy to become likeable! Try these techniques:
1. Be a great listener. Most people are terrible listeners. In fact, they don’t even try to listen. They’re simply waiting for an opportunity to speak again. You can really stand out from the crowd by making a concerted effort to listen well. Give everyone you speak to your full attention.
2. Be open-minded. No one likes to be around someone that is judgmental. Keep an open mind and not only will you be more likeable, but you’ll learn more, too. You’ll also find that this is a more enjoyable way to live, because you won’t be so annoyed when others don’t live according to your standards.
3. Be reliable. We like to be able to predict the behavior of others. Keep your word and people will like you more.
4. Be quick to smile. Smiling puts others at ease and shows the world that you’re happy and in control. Even babies intuitively understand the power of smiling. It’s one of our favorite things to do. Smiling in difficult situations is comforting to everyone around you.
5. Be positive. An upbeat attitude is infectious and positively impacts everyone around you. Consider how you feel about the pessimistic people in your life. Now, think about the positive people you know. Which do you consider to be more likeable?
6. Be interesting. Share yourself with the world. Everyone is interesting. Some people are just too bashful to allow anyone to see it. Have a few hobbies or other interests and be willing to talk about them with others. Allow your uniqueness to shine through.
7. Be interested. Be interested in others. Ask questions that show you’re curious about them. We love it when others are interested in our lives. Ask someone to give you their opinion. Being interested shows the other person that they are important.
You can become one of the most popular people you know, even if you’ve never been invited to a single party. Likeable people share many common traits. All you need to do is to adopt these behaviors and make them your own.
It’s necessary to be easy to be around and to make others feel good. Isn’t that what being likeable is all about? When you’re spending time with someone, ask yourself what you can do to make the other person feel good about themselves. Also, consider ways that you can make yourself more enjoyable to spend time with.
Ask your friends and family what you can do to be more likeable. You might find the answers interesting. Pay close attention to the suggestions you hear repeatedly.
Practice being likeable! Soon, you’ll find that you enjoy it too!